It’s International Nurses Day today when the world pays tribute to the amazing and heroic contribution of nurses.
The annual celebration, taking place on May 12, is shining a light on the crucial work nurses do – which, after more than a year of a pandemic is more important than ever.
Nurses, along with doctors and other medical staff, have been on the frontline in the battle against coronavirus and some have even died in the line of duty.
But how can you wish a nurse a Happy Nurses Day?
Here are the best quotes, poems and messages to say to all your hardworking friends, family and colleagues!
What is International Nurses Day?
International Nurses Day takes place each year on May 12 and occurred for the first time in 1965.
This special day was created by the International Council of Nurses to mark the hard work of nursing staff around the globe.
Since January 1974, the global celebrations are traditionally held on May 12 to mark the anniversary of the birth of nursing pioneer Florence Nightingale.
International Nurses Day quotes
- “The most important practical lesson than can be given to nurses is to teach them what to observe.” Florence Nightingale
- “Caring is the essence of nursing.” Jean Watson
- “A nurse will always give us hope, an angel with a stethoscope.” Carrie Latet
- “Constant attention by a good nurse may be just as important as a major operation by a surgeon.” Dag Hammarskjold, Diplomat
- “God appoints our graces to be nurses to other men’s weaknesses.” Henry Ward Beecher
- “Nurses dispense comfort, compassion, and caring without even a prescription.” Val Saintsbury
- International Nurses Day quotes, poems and messages: A projection on the side of St Thomas Hospital(Image: GETTY)
- “Nurses have come a long way in a few short decades. In the past our attention focused on physical, mental and emotional healing. Now we talk of healing your life, healing the environment, and healing the planet.” Lynn Keegan
- “The trained nurse has become one of the great blessings of humanity, taking a place beside the physician and the priest.” William Osler
- “Our job as nurses is to cushion the sorrow and celebrate the joy, everyday, while we are ‘just doing our jobs.” Christine Belle
- “We often think of nursing as giving meds on time, checking an X-ray to see if the doctor needs to be called, or taking an admission at 2:00 am with a smile on our faces. Too often, we forget all the other things that make our job what it truly is caring and having a desire to make a difference.” Erin Pettengill.
If you’re looking for a way to stay up to date with the latest breaking news from around Hertfordshire, the HertsLive newsletter is a good place to start.
The twice-daily update will deliver the top news and features straight to your inbox.
We choose the most important stories of the day to include in the newsletter, including crime, court news, long reads, traffic and travel, food and drink articles and more.
Signing up to the newsletter is simple. All you have to do is to click here and type in your email address.
It’s one of the many ways that you can read the news that matters to you from HertsLive.
International Nurses Day poems
- Hands that turn caring into action. Touch that turns compassion into comfort. Smiles that turn love into healing. This is the art of nursing.
- N is for notable and willing to share. U is for understanding, she really cares. R is for reliable, right from the start. S is for sincere, with a loving heart. E is for energetic, so much to behold. “Nurse” a special one is she, more precious than gold.
International Nurses Day messages
- Dear, the way you have vowed to nurture the world with your empathy, kindness, and humanity is beyond all the praises! Happy Nurses Day!
- Dear, you kindle the fire of hope in the darkness of despair and enlighten our world with light and love. Happy Nurses Day!
- Even though your contribution deserves to be celebrated, allow us to show our gratitude towards your service on this special occasion. Happy Nurses Day!
- Happy International Nurses Day 2020! Your kind smile is enough to cure all the diseases of the world! So always put a big smile on your face!
- Thanks for taking such good care of people in the most difficult days of their life. Thanks for your unconditional services and patience. International Nurses Day 2020
- May all the care and kindness you give to others come back to warm your heart. Happy Nurses Day to you.
- Your tender care, love, and understanding has made a difference in the lives of so many. Hope you have the same smiling day as you make for others. Nurses Day 2020.
- Happy Nurses Day to all the nurses who take the front rows in the battles against epidemics like the true warriors! Our respect to you!
- Happy nurses day to all the wonderful nurses of the world! The dedication you show towards your job is marvellous and praiseworthy. Have a nice day!
- Happy Nurses Day to an amazing nurse! Thank you for sacrificing most of your weekends on the patients instead of going to movies!
- To the nurses who give so much of themselves to others every day. International Nurses Day 2020.
- Every nurse is an angel with a key for healthy community. Happy Nurses Day.
- Greetings to you on International Nurses Day. Your care is truly exceptional. Thank You for doing all that you do.